Tuesday, April 28, 2009

How The Show Is Like A Child

The show is hungry.
It's favorite foods are actors, music and a good story. It must have clothing, toys (props & scenery), housing (a theater); things that enable it to play and develop and grow. It must have a gun and a sword and a rubber fish.

The show cries.
It wants another song, more dialogue, rehearsal time and time off from rehearsal. It must have the banana tree but is anxious the bathtub filled with water - the best idea I've ever had - will fall through the floor. It demands a play space as big as a theater. When it is unhappy, it lets me know.

The show keeps me up at night.
Worrying, planning and interpreting strange dreams that sometimes wake me.

The show naps.
It can't always be busy.

The show learns to walk.
Yesterday the actors started to become the characters all by themselves, which made the parents proud.

The show delights.
The singers made some amazing harmonies in the first group vocal rehearsal, which was like having eaten all of it's vegetable without being prompted.

The show acts out.
It craves attention, puts on cranky-pants and behaves irrationally. I can't allow the show to set the agenda! I am stern, I must be a grown-up! I cajole and negotiate and strive to give it things that are good for it. Sometimes I try to make it happy just because that makes me happy.

The show needs love.
And I need to love it.

No comments: