Sunday, November 16, 2008

Mixing

Ok, so I'm moving into a new area here.

I'm wrapping up on a new CD that I've been working on for awhile. I started recording the CD in June or so and I think around July I decided to do a push to finish it up. I figured I'd wrap the mixing by September, but here it is mid-November and I'm still pushing and changing and mixing. I keep thinking that I'll finish the mix this week, and then just in a few days and then by Tuesday. I think of myself as a responsible and diligent member of society, but in making a CD it seems that my word isn't worth shit. I suspect this is because a song is not a promise I've made to someone else but a promise I've made only to myself, and if I run a little behind I'm still good for it. Yeah, I'm good for it.

It also appears that a new theater in NYC has invited me to mount a production of a musical I wrote a couple of years ago. I'm very excited and also trying to keep a lid on my enthusiasm. I've gotten very positive, solid and authoritative signs from the theater that the show is on, but I haven't signed anything yet or been given any of the usual official commitments to do such a thing, a thing that requires a substantial investment of love and treasure from myself as well as the theater involved. I think it's all good, but you just never know. When I wrote the show it was a promise that I made to myself, now somebody else is making a promise to me. I know I'm good for it, but I don't know about them. I believe them, but I don't know.

I love music more than anything, especially performing it. Recording, writing, schmoozing, hearing other music, the whole and entire attendant ephemera of the life of music sometimes seems like a bunch of stuff I have to do so that eventually I'll get to perform a bit and some people will see me. I can't tell if this is shallow or if I'm missing the point of music, that listening and sharing are, I know, every bit as important as creating the music. I know that the most tiresome people to be around are those who broadcast but can't receive, and I don't wish to be one of those, but I will defer all manner of happiness for a chance to perform a pretty good tune.

No comments: