Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thursdays

Three gigs so far at Dixon Place, three completely different nights.

Night one: Ellie and some old friends popped in, true Dixon Placers from way back. I came in ready for covers and they requested my own songs, a pleasant surprise. Bill and Hil came and Alison as well. It was a perfect starter evening, the downstairs show was lightly attended and the night felt personal and special. I love playing for friends.

Night two: The last weekend for the show playing downstairs, and they had a great crowd. By 7pm the lobby already filling up, I dug into it on the electric. I left a copy of the book out and got two requests, Mister Green Genes, Zappa, and something else. I kind of chewed up Green Genes, first time playing it in public, but got a positive nod from the requester. Ramped up the song energy as the crowd gathered and then the room emptied out for the downstairs show leaving three older gentlemen at the bar. I took a brief break then came back with the baritone uke, which they liked. By 8:30 all wrapped up. Decided to play some house music from the ipod for the crowd exit, which matched the main show and was cool.

Night three: Packed house downstairs, which means packed in the lounge. The first set was fun and efficient. Jim Takacs came by, a really pleasant surprise, as well as 3 film students from Montreal I'd met earlier that day at work. When the crowd thinned out I got to chat with everybody. The downstairs show was short, or the time went fast, but suddenly the crowd let out and hit the bar. Really loud, energized crowd. I grabbed my uke and hit a few of my more high energy tunes, and then switched up to electric and just sang into the crowd, they were like a great fresh wave. They were not about me but I felt with them. Loud, drinky, good. I got to crank up the Princeton a bit for the first time and leaned into the mic. Lately I've been fearful for my hearing, conservative. It was a great relief to be in a loud room, grinding out some stupid and fun songs. Secret Agent Man. Coconut. And some cooler stuff as well, Sunny Side Of The Street. Really good night.

This Thursday I suspect I'll be joined by Randy Hudson, really great guitarist, has played with Bongwater, Zorn, founding member of New York Ebow Quartet. Should be fun.

I'll be at:
The Lounge at Dixon Place
161 Chrystie Street
7pm until 10, more or less
Every Thursday
No hat, but I may pass the cover


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.